Shoppers believe that taking a shrewd approach to spending saves them an average of £899 a year. A study conducted by the Centre for Economics and Business Research on behalf of American Express® found that spending wisely using discounts, rewards and offers is now entrenched into the British psyche with most UK shoppers (98%) believing it is an important part of their shopping habits.
Londoners are the most savvy when it comes to their spending, saving an estimated £1,040 a year, followed closely by those living in the North West and North East, saving £996 and £993 a year respectively by taking advantage of discounts, rewards and special offers.
This smart approach to stretching the shopping budget is set to continue with more than a third (35%) of consumers saying that using rewards and offers will be even more important to them in the year ahead as a way to cut costs (49%) and boost their spending power (39%).
Nicholas Stefanovitz, Vice President of Consumer Cards UK at American Express, said: “Our research shows that seeking a saving is now part of the everyday shopping experience. Consumers are making significant savings by taking advantage of a wide range of discounts, rewards and special offers. Our Cardmembers can also benefit from a range of Amex Offers which reward them for shopping at some of their favourite high street brands. ”
Current Offers from American Express:
- House of Fraser: Spend £70 or more to receive a £10 statement credit – ends 1 November
- Fat Face: Spend £50 or more to receive a £10 statement credit – ends 1 November
- Beautybay.com: spend £50 or more to receive a £10 statement credit – ends 31 October
For more offers and information please visit amexoffers.co.uk.
List of regional savings made by using rewards and offers in 2015:
|9||Yorkshire and Humber||£849|
Notes to Editors
- AmEx Offers may be subject to restrictions. Payment must be made in full on an eligible American Express Card.
- Statement credits are applied only if a Cardmember has pre-registered for an offer. Each offer is valid once per Card. For full Offer Terms and Conditions click here.
- For more information or to apply for an American Express Credit Card visit: http://www.americanexpress.com/uk
- Omnibus research was conducted by OnePoll, 2,000 UK adults were surveyed between 14 April and 15 April 2015