We are always on the lookout for really bright candidates at any level, but please note we are not considering internship candidates for 2017 for the moment.
You are smart and you have the academic certificates to prove it. But so do many others. What we need from you is more than certificates and transcripts. We need you to show us how you think and how you approach a problem. You have to be able to think through difficult problems which can seem daunting at first, and come up with solutions. Our ideal candidate is business-oriented and client-focused, with a good understanding of project management and business development.
This is your chance to join one of Britain’s busiest and most influential economics consultancies providing services to Government departments, multi-nationals and trade and professional organisations. We have a huge variety of work with 150 big name clients enabling you to use economics expertise directly to inform real large-scale business and policy decisions. Our consultants often have opportunities to build a significant media profile.
Cebr is looking for an experienced senior economist, and an economist.
Come and join a friendly team of academically strong client-facing consultants.
A detailed description of the skills and characteristics we need are given below. The ‘Essential characteristics’ list of requirements applies to both roles, but a senior recruit would need further experience including some or all of the ‘Desirable characteristics’.
The five broad roles of the senior are spelt out, to make clear that the role includes management as well as project delivery. An economist recruit would be working both on delivery and client relations, developing towards the role of a senior as their career progressed.
The senior economist role is in the microeconomics team. The economist role is in the macroeconomics team.
Essential characteristics for all candidates are:
- Sound academic background: Masters or 1st class degree in economics or a similar subject
- Knowledge of microeconomics and macroeconomics
- An ability to write easy-to-read reports for a business audience – native-level proficiency in English absolutely essential.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to explain economic concepts and quantitative results, as well as their implications, to non-specialists.
- An ability to think originally and creatively in using economics to answer clients’ questions.
- Attention to detail and commitment to going the extra mile to deliver robust, accurate work that can stand up to scrutiny, within the constraints of the time and resources available
- Pro-active, curious and willing to take the initiative in hunting down data and learning from previous projects.
- Proficiency in Excel.
Desirable characteristics for the senior economist include:
- Experience of project management and business – either as an in-house economist or working in another consultancy.
- Experience with economic impact assessments and microeconomic modelling techniques including: input-output and multiplier analysis, cost-benefit analysis and counterfactual assessments.
- Experience with quantitative analysis software such as Stata. This is a good opportunity to use econometric and data analysis skills.
The senior role consists of five broad elements:
- Technical / professional: delivering our products using our technical skills, expertise and experience. Senior economists are expected to have:
- Substantial experience of quantitative economic analysis using a variety of data;
- A track record of successful quantitative project work and report-writing;
- Proficiency with Excel and the manipulation of large datasets.
- Project management: through planning, diary management, monitoring and control, ensuring projects are delivered on time and to budget. Senior economists are expected to:
- Provide day-to-day management of projects
- Develop resource and time plans and agree with client and project director
- Deliver on plans to time and budget, coordinating the input of others in the team
- Report problems promptly and work constructively to overcome them.
- Work with senior colleagues to write project reports and presentations.
- Business development & client relationship-building: building ongoing client relations that ensure customer satisfaction, repeat business and bringing in new clients. Senior economists are expected to:
- Handle clients and potential clients effectively, responding promptly and positively to their enquiries and managing Cebr’s relationship with them.
- Work with senior colleagues to write research proposals.
- Generate, report and help formulate business development ideas.
- Develop and implement business development strategy for different product lines.
- People management: managing, recruiting, retaining, motivating, developing and appraising our team members. Senior economists are expected to:
- Mentor and coach economists and researchers
- Assist in the recruitment of researchers and economists
- Business management: securing the company’s long term future; delivering high quality independent research; meeting stakeholders’ expectations; efficiency & integrity. Senior economists are expected to:
- Conduct business in the best interests of Cebr
- Know when to escalate decision-making
If you are interested in joining the team, whether as an economist or a senior economist, please get in touch. Send a CV and covering letter stating which you are applying for, and when you might be available for employment, using the form below.
Please note that all applicants must be able to demonstrate that they are eligible to work in the UK at the point at which the role commences- please state your position in your cover letter.
If you are interested in joining the team, please get in touch. Send a CV and covering letter using the form below.
Send us your CV
You can make your application here by attaching your letter and CV.